- Issue Time
Actuators are essential components in electric chairs that allow them to move smoothly, precisely, and reliably. Read on to learn more about the role of actuators in massage chairs.
Over the years, electric chairs have grown in popularity in a variety of industries, including home theater, airplanes, and boats. The comfort and convenience of the electric chair are due to the use of actuators, which are the key components for the movement and positioning of the electric chair. The actuators are responsible for the smooth and precise movement of the electric chair, ensuring maximum comfort for the user.
Depending on its application, different types of actuators are used in electric chairs. Home theater chairs, first-class cabins on airplanes, first-class cabins on ships, and massage chairs in spas all have different needs. An actuator is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, producing linear or rotary motion. Actuators are essential components in electric chairs that allow them to move smoothly, precisely, and reliably.
Electric Motors and Actuators in Massage Chairs
The massage chair is designed to provide users with various massage functions, including rolling, kneading, tapping, and shiatsu. These massage functions are achieved through the use of electric motors and actuators, which are responsible for the movement and positioning of the chair. The electric motors and actuators used in massage chairs are controlled by user displays on each chair, controlling each actuator/motor independently, or sometimes as a complete set to provide multiple functions simultaneously.
Electric massage chairs require a variety of actuators to perform different functions, such as adjusting the position of the chair, controlling massage rollers, and activating airbags. These actuators need to be compact, reliable, and provide smooth, precise movement to ensure a comfortable massage experience. Some actuator types suitable for electric massage chairs include:
1. DC Linear Actuators: As mentioned, these are commonly used in reclining chairs, but are also suitable for massage chairs. Their compact size and relatively low cost make them ideal for small adjustments and simple massage functions.
2. DC Motors with Gearboxes: DC motors can be combined with gearboxes to create compact high-torque actuators. These are suitable for driving massage rollers, kneading mechanisms and other massage functions that require rotational motion. The gearbox allows precise control of speed and torque.
3. Stepper Motors: Stepper motors are brushless DC motors that allow precise control of position and speed. They can be used in massage chairs to control the position of massage rollers and other moving parts. Stepper motors provide good torque at low speeds and can hold their position without continuous power input, making them energy efficient.
4. Servo Motors: Servo motors are high-performance, high-precision motors used in applications that require tight control over position, speed, and torque. They can be used in massage chairs to drive complex and precise massage functions. Servo motors may be more expensive than other options but offer better control and precision.
5. Pneumatic Actuators: Pneumatic actuators can be used to control airbags and inflatable cushions in massage chairs. They offer fast response times and can generate high forces. However, they require an external air supply, which adds complexity and noise. These are used in massage chairs to inflate and deflate the air cells used in the arms and legs of the chair.
When selecting an actuator for a power massage chair, it is important to consider factors such as the type of motion required (linear or rotary), force, speed, accuracy, noise level, and cost. The specific actuator type and the combination will depend on the design of the chair and the massage function desired.
What Type of Actuator Is Suitable for Electric Recliners?
Several types of actuators are available for electric chairs, depending on the specific application and desired functionality. Electric recliners typically use DC electric linear actuators to provide smooth and controlled motion to adjust the position of the chair. There are several types of actuators that can be suitable for electric recliners, depending on factors such as cost, noise level, speed, and force requirements. Some common types of actuators used in electric recliners include:
1. DC Linear Actuators: These are the most commonly used actuator types in electric recliners. They use a direct current (DC) motor to drive a lead screw or ball screw, which in turn moves a sliding element. They are known for their compact size, relatively low cost, and ease of installation.
2. AC Linear Actuators: These actuators use an alternating current (AC) motor instead of a DC motor. They generally have a higher power capacity and can provide faster motion. However, they can be more expensive and require more complex control systems than DC linear actuators.
3. Servo Linear Actuators: These are high-precision actuators that use a servo motor to drive a lead screw or ball screw. Servo linear actuators offer better control and precision, but they are generally more expensive than other options and require more complex control systems.
4. Pneumatic Linear Actuators: These actuators use compressed air to create motion. They are relatively fast and can generate a lot of force, but they require an external air supply and can be noisy. Pneumatic actuators are not typically found in electric recliners due to the additional infrastructure required.
5. Hydraulic Linear Actuators: These actuators use pressurized fluid to generate motion. They can provide very high forces and are suitable for heavy-duty applications. However, they are usually more expensive, require a separate hydraulic system, and are prone to leaks, making them less popular with electric recliners.
When selecting an actuator for a power recliner, factors such as load capacity, speed, noise level, cost, and desired level of control must be considered. Due to the balance of cost, performance, and simplicity, DC linear actuators are often the most suitable choice for many applications.
The exact type of actuator used in a power chair depends on the functionality, size, weight, and power source required for the power chair. These factors must be considered when selecting an actuator to ensure optimal performance and safety of the chair.
Which Characteristics of Electric Actuators Are Important for Electric Chair Applications
There are several important characteristics to consider when selecting an electric actuator for a power chair application. These include:
1. Force: The force rating of the actuator should be sufficient to support the weight of the chair and provide the desired motion. The actuator should also have enough force to move the chair smoothly without jerking or hesitating.
2. Speed: The rated speed of the actuator should be suitable for the application, ensuring the smooth and precise movement of the chair, not too slow or too fast. The speed of the actuator should also be adjustable to allow different speeds of movement according to the user's preference.
3. Noise Level: The actuator should produce minimal noise during operation to ensure a comfortable and peaceful experience for the user. The noise level of the actuator should be low enough not to cause disturbance or discomfort during use.
4. IP Rating: The actuator should have a suitable IP rating to protect it from dust, moisture, and other environmental factors that may affect its performance or lifespan. Higher IP ratings indicate better protection against the elements, ensuring the reliability and longevity of the actuator.
5. Durability: The actuator should be durable and able to withstand frequent use and movement without failure or frequent maintenance. The construction and materials of the actuator should be of high quality to ensure its long-term performance and reliability.
6. Control Options: The actuator should provide various control options such as remote control, switch, or programmable control to allow the user to adjust the position and movement of the chair according to their preferences.
When selecting an actuator for a power chair application, it is important to consider factors such as force, speed, noise level, IP rating, durability, and control options to ensure optimum performance and reliability from the actuator. If you want to know more or want to buy actuators, welcome to contact us.
UG Controls is a professional custom valve actuators and accessories manufacturer. For nearly 20 years, we have used our engineering expertise and industry experience to continuously improve our products, striving to provide efficient solutions and competitive prices. UG provides solutions for all industries including chemical, water, oil and gas, mining, power plants, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and more.
Used to automatically open and close valves or dampers. UG new series pneumatic rack & pinion actuator applies innovative rack
UG series on-off electric actuator is designed for rotary valve applications such as ball, butterfly, and plug valves.
UG series electric intelligent actuators integrate complete function, high performance, easy operation & debugging.
Electric Linear Actuators create stable, accurate back-and-forth movement. We a wide range of linear actuators and accessories.